Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Days Off

Going from a college student to a person with an actual job I have come to treasure what one would call a "day off". At first I felt really guilty when I took the day off. Here is the thing with being a pastor - there is always more work that can be done- there is always something else that needs your attention. My previous professor told me when I started this position that I would need to put up boundaries and make sure that I took my time off when I needed to etc. So I have learned the art of taking the day off.

Yesterday should be summed up as a sweats and home day - I got out of bed at noon - yes noon - (in my defense I was awake at nine - I just decided not to get up) and spent the afternoon in my little apartment which (miraculously) I tidied up (although you wouldnt guess it now) made homemade peanut butter cups. I went over to my neighbors apartment to watch their two year old son so they could go to an appointment. After that I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 8 (might I state evening naps are the WORST - it totally messes up your sleeping) so I had to stay awake a bit so I baked meringue cookies (I had costco amount of eggs to go through) and i decided I will let my youth binge tonight while we bake for Christmas day.

The best part was talking to my childhood best friend Katherine on the phone late last night. We have 13 years of friendship and she is the only friend I have that knows me inside and out - she understands my dramatic flair to life (border line appreciates it) and has crossed to the other side of relationships (married almost a year now). Its funny how history friendships work - there is this all powerful trump card in the relationship that even if we dont talk for a month or two - once we do its as if no time passed and its a comforting relationship to have in my life.

I have a handful of friends that I have kept close to my heart and I know that they will morph and change over time but thats okay - God has always put the people I needed in my life - in my life at the right time.

Days Off I think are more about comfort than anything else - I get to adventure to NYC next week so I needed the day to "putter". I needed to process (I over think all the time) and I found that comfort level I needed to be able to be at peace again.

Yesterday was a day of comfort - like putting on a favourite hoodie - it just fit perfectly.

Now the ridiculous amount of baking I have done has led me to the following conclusion

i need a set of metal or glass mixing bowls, I need tupperware to put it in and I dream of a kitchen aide mixer *sigh* and an actual counter to bake on! One day haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment